User Menu

MFA for Educators

Engage your students with the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to illustrate themes and concepts in any discipline.

Hafner ware stove tile

Start collecting

Hafner ware stove tile. Jacob fighting with Angel in low relief. Glazed white ground. GEN:32 over AP:V24. in lower left. Angel and clouds in blue; Jacob in green robe with brown sash and boots.

Provenance

By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; 1948, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 2]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; May 2, 1963, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977); 1965, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 13, 1965) NOTES: [1] Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The plate is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 86, no. 1442. [2] In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the plate was given back in 1948. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245. [3] Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.

Credit Line

Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson

Austrian, late 16th century

Dimensions

Overall: 32.1 x 26.7 cm (12 5/8 x 10 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

65.31

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Ceramics