Glazed brown terracotta Andromeda standing and chained to upright rock marbleized blues, manganese, green, yellow. Blue chains on wrists and ankles, left hand over head. White body, blue-green fig leaf, manganese hair. Back or rock crackles white. Top corner, upper right, tip of nose, broken off.
Count Hans Johann Nepomuk von Wilczek (b. 1837 - d. 1922), Kreuzenstein, Austria [see note 1]. Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 2]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; May 10, 1963, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1965, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 13, 1965) NOTES:  According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (May 10, 1963; in MFA curatorial file).  According to an interoffice memorandum from Hanns Swarzenski to R. Thornton Wilson (January 13, 1965; in MFA curatorial file). Attempts to identify the figure in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful. Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, had owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, his collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson