Cast in high relief with the Giants being crushed beneath falling rocks while Zeus with his thunderbolt in his right hand and the eagle watch from the sky above. A fortified town and palms in the background. Figures extend into space around edges.
1724, exhibited at the church of SS. Annunziata, Florence [see note 1]. Sir Naylor-Leyland, Nantclwyd Hall, Ruthin, North Wales. By 1965, Mr. and Mrs. George Farrow, England [see note 2]; November 28, 1968, Farrow sale, Sotheby's, London, lot 36, to Heim Gallery, London; February 20, 1969, sold by Heim Gallery to Angus W. T. Hood, England; 1974, sold by Angus Hood to Heim Gallery; 1974, sold by Heim Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 11, 1974) NOTES:  This relief can be identified with the plaque exhibited by the artist at SS. Annunziata during the Festival of St. Luke in 1724, described in the catalogue as "Un Basso Rilievo in Bronzo della Caduta de Giganti del Sig. Giuseppe Piamontini" (A bronze bas-relief of the Fall of the Giants by Mr. Giuseppe Piamontini). It was exhibited with its pendant, a bronze relief representing the Massacre of the Innocents (MFA no. 1974.606). See "Works of Art and a Collection of Renaissance and Baroque Bronzes," Sotheby's, London, November 28, 1968, lots 36-37.  Hugh Honour, "Florentine Baroque bronzes in an English private collection," Connoisseur 159, no. 640 (June, 1965), pp. 86, 89.
Museum purchase with funds donated by John Goelet and by subscription
Italian, about 1710
- Giuseppe Piamontini, Italian (Florence), 1663–1744