Polychromed terra cotta. On shaped and molded marbled base. Faith standing with chalice in right hand, left elbow on fluted column; Temperance reclining each hand holding ewer in terra cotta color. Red and yellow robes white dresses, brownish-yellow belts and sandals.
About 1930, acquired in Florence by Dr. Ernst Benkard (b. 1883 - d. by 1960) [see note 1]; sold by Benkard to Wilhelm Henrich, Frankfurt; 1960, sold by Henrich to the MFA for $719.40 [see note 2]. (Accession Date: September 21, 1960) NOTES:  According to information provided in a letter from Wilhelm Henrich to Hanns Swarzenski (May 31, 1960).  Sold together with MFA accession no. 60.942.
Helen and Alice Colburn Fund