A circular domed plate cover with a reed and ribbon rim. The dome is widely gadrooned with matted borders. The upper rim is hung with festoons of laurel. The cover above has a rim of oval guilloche rising to a smaller dome of spiral acanthus leaf topped by a pine cone finial.
Maker's Mark: a fleur-de-lis, two grains, JNR, a sheaf of wheat (Dennis, 296).Warden's Mark: 1771-1772: a crowned H (Dennis, 299). Charge Mark: for large w ork, 1768-1775: a crowned A (Dennis, 296). Discharge Mark: for work intended for export, 1733(?)-1775: a little cow (Dennis, 296). Other: a small rectangle;Russian standard mark: 91 in a rectangle (Tardy, p. 265); St. Petersburg town mark, 1784(?) (Rosenberg, 8141-8144). The Maker's, Warden's and Charge marks are on the inner rim, the Discharge and Russian marks are on the rim, and the rectangle is on the finial.
1772, ordered by Catherine The Great for Prince Orloff, St Petersburg. Elizabeth Parke Firestone (1897-1990) and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. (1898-1973), Akron, OH and Newport, RI; 1993; gift of the Estate of Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. (Accession date: May 26, 1993)
Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. Collection