Soft green glaze, cream inside, on lid and base. Raised designs of flowered hearts between entwined scrolls, border of joined scrolls, on curved body with two scroll handles. Lid with inset bezel, matching border and three upright double scrolls adjouré around medallion (one broken), center...
Soft green glaze, cream inside, on lid and base. Raised designs of flowered hearts between entwined scrolls, border of joined scrolls, on curved body with two scroll handles. Lid with inset bezel, matching border and three upright double scrolls adjouré around medallion (one broken), center depicting Adam and Eve grasping the apple from the Serpent in Garden of Eden.Ten-pointed star enclosing wreath with flutes on bottom.
Stefan von Auspitz (b. 1869 - d. 1945), Vienna; 1931, consigned to the K. W. Bachstitz Gallery, The Hague [see note 1]; December 29, 1931, sold by Bachstitz to Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 2]; 1938, probably seized by Nazi forces; 1948, probably restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 3]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 4]; January 23, 1962, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1963, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 9, 1963) NOTES:  Stefan von Auspitz was a banker at the Bankhaus Auspitz, Lieben & Co., Vienna. After the company declared bankruptcy in 1931 the Austrian government seized the bank and the property of its directors. Auspitz's collection of art was sold to Daniel George van Beuningen, who kept some objects for himself, selling the remainder through Kurt Bachstitz.  According to information on file at the RKD, the Hague (RKD Archief Bachstitz Gallery/Stock Book Auspitz Collection, II, no. 1299, as "Swiss Earthen Bowl"). Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. This dish may be identical to that included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938); Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 48, no. 829. This object is described as a green-glazed ceramic Godenschale (a type of Austrian bowl, literally "godmother dish") with a cover, and a relief of Adam and Eve, measuring 29 cm. in diameter. The MFA Godenschale, which is glazed in green and has a low-relief image of Adam and Eve on its lid, measures 19 cm. in diameter, raising the possibility that an error was made in the list, and 29 was written in place of 19.  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 2), which was used by Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the bowl was given back in 1948. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson