Richly carved and gilded, shaped marble top. Masks on knees of cabriole legs with pay feet, medallion with profile head on skirt, scrolls and garlands. Stretcher has full round seated cupids supporting Imperial coat-of-arms on breast of eagle.
About 1730, made for Karl Albrecht, Elector of Bavaria (r. 1726-1745), possibly for the Kaisersaal at Kloster Ettal [see note 1]. 1962, given to the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, Palm Beach, FL [see note 2]; 1987, gift of the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum to the MFA. (Accession Date: March 25, 1987) NOTES:  This is one of a set of four console tables made for Karl Albrecht. Another table from the set is at the MFA (accession no. 57.685); the two others are at the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, and the Museum für Kunsthandwerk, Frankfurt. In 1899, Baron Theodor von Cramer-Klett (b. 1874 - d. 1938) purchased the Kloster Ettal, which had been closed since 1803. The money raised by his acquisition allowed the abbey to reopen. It is not clear when the set of four tables was dispersed. The other console table owned by the MFA was acquired by Cramer-Klett in 1899 and passed on, by descent, within his family; the example at the Museum für Kunsthandwerk was on the Frankfurt art market in 1900.  According to a letter from Charles B. Simmons of the Flagler Museum to Jonathan Fairbanks of the MFA (July 15, 1980; in MFA curatorial file).
Gift of the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum