Lower right: G Berck Heyde / [...]
1865, Sergey Mikhailovich Golitsyn (b. 1843), Museum of Western European Painting of Prince S. M. Golitsyn, Moscow; 1886, museum collection sold by Golitsyn to the State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg (inventory no. 2410) [see note 1]; 1929, deaccessioned by the Hermitage and sold, probably to the Galerie Van Diemen, Berlin; 1930, sold by Van Diemen to M. Knoedler and Co., Paris and New York (stock no. A 1263) [see note 2]; 1938, sold by Knoedler to the MFA for $1650. (Accession Date: November 10, 1938) NOTES:  Information about the painting's pre-1930 provenance was kindly provided by Irina Sokolova, Curator, State Hermitage Museum (e-mail correspondence, September 18, 2006). For more on the foundation of the Golitsyn Museum in 1865 and its sale in 1886, see R. P. Gray, "The Golitsyn and Kushelev-Bezborodko Collections and Their Role in the Evolution of Public Art Galleries in Russia," Oxford Slavonic Papers n.s., vol. 31 (1998): 51-67, esp. 55-56.  Information about the transaction between Van Diemen and Knoedler was provided by the Getty Research Institute.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Mrs. Charles Gaston Smith's Group