Lower right: A. V. Velde. f / 1663
1877, Van Loon collection, Amsterdam; 1877, sold from the Van Loon collection in Paris to the Rothschild family; Baron Ferdinand von Rothschild (b. 1839 - d. 1898), Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire, England; by descent to his sister, Baroness Mathilde von Rothschild (b. 1832 - d. 1924), Frankfurt; by 1925, her son-in-law, Baron Maximilian von Goldschmidt-Rothschild (b. 1843 - d. 1940), Frankfurt [see note 1]; about 1949/1950, probably sold by the heirs of Goldschmidt-Rothschild to Rosenberg and Stiebel, New York [see note 2]; 1950, sold by Rosenberg and Stiebel to the MFA for $3500. (Accession date: May 11, 1950) NOTES:  Maximilian Goldschmidt married Baroness Mathilde's daughter, Minna Caroline von Rothschild (b. 1857 - d. 1903) and became Baron von Goldschmidt-Rothschild in 1903/07. He lent this painting to the "Ausstellung von Meisterwerken alter Malerei aus Privatbesitz," Frankfurt, Städelsches Kunstinstitut, 1925, cat. no. 221. In November 1938 Nazi authorities forced Max von Goldschmidt-Rothschild to sell his art collection to the city of Frankfurt. Upon his death in 1940, the objects were transferred to and accessioned by various city museums. After the war, his heirs succeeded in legally voiding the 1938 sale and recuperating the collection, which was sent to the United States. See "Important French Furniture & Objets d'Art," Goldschmidt-Rothschild estate sale, part one, Parke-Bernet, New York, March 10-11, 1950, prefatory note.  According to a letter from Saemy Rosenberg of Rosenberg and Stiebel to W.G. Constable of the MFA (May 16, 1950), the picture came from "the collection of the late Baron Max von Goldschmidt-Rothschild." Rosenberg and Stiebel sold a number of works of art for members of the Rothschild family at this time.
Ernest Wadsworth Longfellow Fund