Circular basin with two busts protruding from the rim and supported by four standing angels. Bowl cast in one piece, legs and handles cast on reinforced with metal keys and pins, and chased minimally. The outside of the basin with a stippled ground is decorated with fourteen continuous...
Circular basin with two busts protruding from the rim and supported by four standing angels. Bowl cast in one piece, legs and handles cast on reinforced with metal keys and pins, and chased minimally. The outside of the basin with a stippled ground is decorated with fourteen continuous flamboyant Gothic arches beneath which are a Crucifixion with the Virgin (inscribed S.MAREIA) and Saint John (inscribed S.IOHANS) and thirteen standing Apostles, each identified by an inscription. Beginning with the Crucifixion and proceeding to the right, the Apostles are: Name Inscription Attributes Matthew S.MATTHEVS sword, book John S.IOHANNES chalice Simon S.SIMON saw, book Philip S.FILIPPVS double cross, book Luke S.LUKAS palm branch, three balls, belt Jude S.IVDAS club, book Andrew S.ANDREAS saltire James the Less S.IACOBVS D.K fuller's staff, book Thomas S.THOMAS lance Mathias S.MATTHIAS ax, book Bartholomew S.BARTHOLOMEVS knife, book James the Great S.IACOBV D.G staff, shell Peter S.PETRVS key, book An inscription in old Saxon dialect around the upper rim reads [GOTE] KE KLINGHE DE MI GEGOTEN HAD GOT GEU [E SYNER SELEN] RAT S ANNA S KATRINA S DORATEA S MARGRET S GARDRUD HEL[P]. On the lower rim is the date: ANNO DNI MCCCCLXXXIII AN MIICHAL MEN DEN LOUR. The underside of the basin shows a central rosette surrounded by two concentric bands of profile acanthus. The frontal angels, each with long curly hair and wearing dalmatic and alb, hold shields with distinctive coats of arms.
Upper rim: "[gote]ke klinghe de mi gegoten had got geu[e syner selen] rat s anna s katrina s doratea s margret s gardrud hel[p]" Lower rim: "anno dni mcccclxxxiii an mii[s]c[h]al men den [l]our"
Upper rim: "[gote]ke klinghe de mi gegoten"
By 1722, John Churchhill (1650-1722), Duke of Marloborough, Oxfordshire, England. By 1890, Baron Seillière (Chateau de Mello) Oise, France; May 5-10, 1890, Seillière sale, Georges Petit, Paris, lot 429. By 1938, Clarence H. Mackay (1874-1938), Roslyn, NY [see note 1]; 1941, sold by Jacques Seligmann & Co., New York, on behalf of the estate of Clarence H. Mackay to the MFA for $15000. (Accession Date: June 5, 1941) Notes:  This information is from the records of Clarence H. Mackay per a letter of June 10, 1941 to the MFA from Jacques Seligmann & Co., Inc., New York. See MFA curatorial files.
Sarah F. Gorham and Alice H. Goddard Fund
German (Bremen), Medieval (Gothic), 1483
- Goteke Klinghe, German (Bremen), active in the late 15th century