Possibly the church of St.- Pierre de Rhedes, Lamalou-les-Bains, France [see note 1]. By 1955, John Hunt, Dublin and London; 1956, sold by Hunt to the MFA for $6,720. (Accession Date: June 7, 1956) Notes:  When the acquisition of the sculpture was first discussed, John Hunt wrote to the MFA (December 28, 1955) that "it is supposed to have come from St. Pierre de Rhedes." This has not been verified. Stephen K. Scher questions the plausibility of this assertion in "The Renaissance of the Twelfth Century" (exh. cat. Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, May 8 - June 22, 1969), p. 94.
Charles Amos Cummings Fund
French (Languedoc), Medieval (Romanesque), Middle or third quarter of the 12th century
Overall: 85 x 26 x 16.5 cm, 73.9 kg (33 7/16 x 10 1/4 x 6 1/2 in., 163 lb.) Framed (Steel wall mount plate / two keyhole slots): 20.3 x 17.8 x 0.6 cm (8 x 7 x 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique