About 1615/1620, painted for the Church of S. Giovanni dei Furlani (also known as S. Giovanni del Tempio, or S. Giovanni della Commenda di Malta), Venice; about 1806/1810, removed upon the closure of the church [see note 1], given to the Venetian State Property Office and stored at the Scuola di San Giovanni Evangelista, Venice; by 1837, marked by the Venetian State Property Office and removed to the Palazzo Ducale, Venice [see note 2]; by 1853, moved to the Scuola di San Giuliano, Venice; July 6, 1855 – September 30, 1856, auctioned at San Giuliano to an unknown buyer. By 1884, Quincy Adams Shaw (b. 1825 - d. 1908), Boston [see note 3]; 1901, gift of Quincy Adams Shaw to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 9, 1901) NOTES:  The church was closed during the period of Napoleonic rule. On the history of this painting until the time of its sale in 1855/1856, see Lorenzo Carlo Castello, Le Pitture Veneziane di Leopoli (Turin: Daniela Piazza, 1988), pp. 11-29.  Marked DPV for the Demanio Province Venete, or Venetian State Property Office, and numbered 53.  First lent to the MFA in August, 1884.
Gift of Quincy Adams Shaw