Lower left: JJ Henner
January 26, 1904, from the artist to Tooth and Sons, London (stock no. 3541); December 21, 1904, transferred from Tooth and Sons, London, to Tooth and Sons, New York; 1904, sold by Tooth and Sons to Robert J. Edwards (d. 1924), Boston; 1924, by inheritance to his sisters, Hannah Marcy Edwards (d. 1929) and Grace M. Edwards (d. 1938), Boston; 1939, bequest of Grace M. Edwards. [see note 1] (Accession Date: October 11, 1939) NOTES:  Siblings Robert (d. 1924), Hannah (d. 1929), and Grace (d. 1938) Edwards were each collectors of art, who seemed to have had joint ownership of the objects in their possession. When Robert died, he bequeathed his collection to the MFA in memory of their mother, Juliana Cheney Edwards. In 1925, after his death, part of his collection was acquired by the Museum, and the remainder went to his sisters, with the understanding that the objects would ultimately be left to the MFA in the collection begun in memory of their mother. The collections of Hannah and Grace were left to the MFA in 1939, following Grace's death. It is not always possible to determine exactly which paintings each sibling had owned.
Juliana Cheney Edwards Collection