About 1848/1849, acquired in Florence by Henry Greenough (b. 1807 - d. 1883), Cambridge, MA; by inheritance to his widow, Frances Boott Grenough (b. 1809 - d. 1897) [see note 1]; by inheritance to her daughter, Frances Boott Greenough (Mrs. Arthur Welland) Blake (b. 1845 - d. 1939), Brookline, MA; by inheritance to her daughter, Beatrice Frances Blake (Mrs. William G.) Nickerson, Dedham, MA; 1939, gift of Mrs. William G. Nickerson to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 14, 1939) NOTES:  First lent to the MFA in 1884, when the artist was considered to be of the Spanish school. According to his son, Henry Greenough bought this painting and its companions (including MFA accession no. 39.806) from an "old Florentine palace" where "they had 'always' been hanging".
Gift of Mrs. William G. Nickerson