Purportedly from the Church of Saint Goery in Epinal (Les Vosges), France [see note 1]. In 1789, possibly removed from the Church of Saint Goery, Epinal [see note 2]. Mr. Daguerre, Paris. [see note 3]; by 1917, sold by Mr. Daguerre to dealer, John Vigouroux, New York [see note 4]; 1919, Sold by Demotte, New York, through John Vigouroux, to the MFA for $30000. (Accession Date: February 13, 1919) NOTES:  According to MFA Bulletin of April 1919, and curatorial exhibition notes of 1936 written by Edwin Hipkiss.  According to notation by John Vigoroux on the reverse of photo-certificate of March 17, 1939, in MFA files, the piece then entered the collection of one of the late Departmental Architects of Vosges, after which it was believed to have passed through the hands of several dealers.  Mr. Daguerre was a painter and collector from Bourdeaux who lived in the Villa de Ternes in Paris; see letter of April 14, 1939, letter from John Vigouroux, in MFA files.  Letter of April 14, 1939, cited above, reveals that an associate of Vigoroux in Paris bought the statue from Mr. Daguerre; it would be shipped to Vigoroux in New York in late 1917.
Hervey Edward Wetzel Fund
French (Lorraine), Medieval (Gothic), 1310–20
- Unidentified artist, Spanish, 14th century