terracotta medallion, figures in high relief and full round, extending above circle with green-blue background and ovolo cut rim. Virgin's cloak deep blue over white shift, white head-dress, Edges of costume, face, hands and Infant unglazed.
1931, Malmedé und Geissendörfer, Cologne; November 26-28, 1931, Malmedé und Geissendörfer sale, Lempertz, Cologne, lot 476 [see note 1]. By 1938, Eugene L. Garbáty (b. 1880 - d. 1966), Schloss Alt-Döbern, Niederlausitz (Germany), New York, and East Norwalk, CT [see note 2]; 1953, sold by Garbáty to the MFA for $4000. (Accession Date: March 12, 1953) NOTES:  Attributed in the auction catalogue to a Florentine artist and dated to the first half of the 16th century. A handwritten authentication by Wilhelm von Bode, which appears to be dated 1926 or 1927, accompanied the sculpture in the sale. The authentication makes no indication of its previous ownership.  Garbáty emigrated from Berlin to New York between 1938 and 1939, bringing much of his art collection with him.
William Francis Warden Fund
Italian, Siena, Renaissance, about 1530 to 1540