Until about 1875, private collection, Pontedera (near Pisa). Stefano Bardini (b. 1836 - d. 1922), Florence; by 1887, sold by Bardini to Quincy Adams Shaw (b. 1825 - d. 1908), Boston [see note 1]; 1917, gift of Quincy Adams Shaw, through Quincy Adams Shaw Jr. and Mrs. Marian Shaw Haughton, to the MFA. (Accession Date: March 29, 1917) NOTES:  F. Harck, "Aus amerikanischen Galerien," Repertorium für Kunstwissenschaft XI (1888), p. 80 states that the sculpture had been purchased from Bardini, and came from the Medici Villa at Pontedera, Italy. Wilhelm Bode, Italienische Bildhauer der Renaissance (Berlin, 1887), pp. 96-98, attests that he saw the relief in 1875 at a villa in the region of Pontedera. In a separate statement in the same book, Bode states that the relief appeared on the art market around 1875, selling for 8,000 francs, and that several decades earlier it had been found at a villa formerly belonging to the Medici (presumably, that at Pontedera).
Gift of Quincy Adams Shaw through Quincy Adams Shaw, Jr., and Mrs. Marian Shaw Haughton
Italian, About 1470–93
- Attributed to Francesco di Simone Ferrucci, Italian, 1437–1493