The cylindrical tankard has an ear-shaped handle with a spade-shaped lower terminal. It is decorated with a large, mirror-shaped panel framed by a gilt band and gilt decoration including scrollwork, clusters of fruit, and baskets of flowers. Scrolling gilt bands enclose areas of Böttger...
The cylindrical tankard has an ear-shaped handle with a spade-shaped lower terminal. It is decorated with a large, mirror-shaped panel framed by a gilt band and gilt decoration including scrollwork, clusters of fruit, and baskets of flowers. Scrolling gilt bands enclose areas of Böttger luster on each side of the panel. Further scrolling in iron-red is found to the far left and right of the gilt framework. In the panel, the scene features four figures wearing oriental robes of brown, iron-red, and puce. One figure, at the left in front of a lattice fence, carries a basket of flowers on his head; another arranges flowers in an urn, which surmounts a tall, decorated pedestal at the right. One of the seated figures prepares food at the right, while, just below, a cat contemplates a bowl of food. The central figure sits at a table covered with a puce cloth on which is placed a folded scroll, several bottles, and what appears to be a large hookah. The grassy foreground is painted a vivid green. The heavily clouded sky is blue with traces of orange. Four brightly colored birds fly above the group. Four much larger birds, painted in green, puce, iron-red, yellow, black, and brown, and numerous butterflies and flying insects painted in the same palette decorate the area surrounding the handle. A gilt band incorporating scrollwork and trefoils encircles the top; at the bottom is a gilt band with different scrolling. The handle is decorated with indianische Blumen in iron-red, puce, yellow, and green. The base is unglazed. The tankard has been fitted with silver mounts comprising a domed cover with repoussé strapwork, a thumbpiece in the form of a baroque scrolling leaf, and a molded foot rim. The outermost ridge of the cover and the foot rim are gilded, as is the inside of the cover.
(1) on side of tankard, on pedestal in cartouche, in puce enamel: K (2) on silver cover, struck: year mark W for 1746, city mark for Dresden (12/crossed swords/D in shaped shield) (3) on silver cover, struck: maker's mark GHE (?) in shaped shield (4) inside silver cover, struck twice: duty mark for Prussia after 1809 (a crowned eagle)
1960, purchased in New York by Rita and Frits Markus, New York and Chatham, MA; 1983, gift of Rita and Frits Markus to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 18, 1984)
Gift of Rita and Frits Markus
- Made at Meissen Manufactory, Germany
- Probably painted by Johann Gregorious Höroldt, German, 1696–1775
- Probably painted by Johann Leonhard Koch, 1702–1744
Overall: 19.7 x 15.2cm (7 3/4 x 6in.) Other (at base): 10.5cm (4 1/8in.) Other (Without cover): 18.8cm (7 3/8in.)
Medium or Technique
Hard-paste porcelain with colored enamel and gilded decoration