The thrown tankard is cylindrical, with turned moldings at the rim and above the foot. The ear-shaped strap handle is attached at the rim, where a small square of clay was added and pierced through to receive the mount for the cover, now lacking. The exterior of the tankard, including the...
The thrown tankard is cylindrical, with turned moldings at the rim and above the foot. The ear-shaped strap handle is attached at the rim, where a small square of clay was added and pierced through to receive the mount for the cover, now lacking. The exterior of the tankard, including the handle, and the underside of the foot are covered with a lustrous brown-black glaze. The rim and foot rim are decorated with a band of dull gold; inside this band are scrolled borders with pendant trefoils, also in dull gold. The painting on the body of the tankard, at the base of the handle, depicts flowering branches springing from rocks that are painted in a textured gold and copper. The flowers are painted in red, white, and two shades of blue, with gilt outlines and tendrils. The leaves are gray green. Above, on either side of the handle, are two birds in flight, each carrying a branch. They are outlined in gold and have pink and red feathers. Opposite the handle, on the front of the tankard, is an exotic flowering tree, outlined in gold, with gray-green leaves, red, blue, and white flowers, and hearing a gourd-like fruit that is painted in red and white. To the left of the tree stands a gesturing man, who wears a pink robe with red highlights and a blue sash (?). To his right is a fantastic bird with a blue, striped serpent's tail, an orange beak, red and white wines, and, gold claws.
(1) on base, in ink (?): traces of No 32 (?)
By 1959, Felix Kramarsky, New Rochelle, N.Y.; January, 7-10, 1959, sold from the collection of Felix Kramarsky at Parke-Bernet, New York, lot 681. Rita and Frits Markus, Chatham, MA and New York, NY; 1983, gift of Rita and Frits Markus. (Accession date: January 18, 1984)
Gift of Rita and Frits Markus
German, about 1710–15
- Made at Meissen Manufactory, Germany