User Menu

MFA for Educators

Engage your students with the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to illustrate themes and concepts in any discipline.


Tapering body with flat base (chipped). Sanded surface between yellow rows of punched dots, lip and handle blue glazed. Bands of green glaze form sand into blue-edged lozenges with yellow rosettes and triangles centered manganese. Pewter cover with stamped floral design and ball thumbpiece,...

Show Full Description


By 1906, acquired in Vienna by Count Hans Johann Nepomuk von Wilczek (b. 1837 - d. 1922), Kreuzenstein, Austria [see note 1]. Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 2]; possibly sold from Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; October 3, 1963, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1965, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 1, 1965) NOTES: [1] See Alfred Walcher Ritter von Moltheim, "Bunte Hafnerkeramik der Renaissance in den Österreichischen Ländern" (Vienna, 1906), ill., and ibid., "Hafnergeschirre der Renaissance," Belvedere, 1925, p. 74, ill. opp. p. 73. [2] According to an interoffice memorandum from Hanns Swarzenski to Perry Rathbone (January 13, 1965; in MFA curatorial file). Attempts to identify the tankard in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful. Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, had owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, his collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.

Credit Line

Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson

Austrian, About 1550


Overall: 22.9 x 13 cm (9 x 5 1/8 in.)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique

Lead-glazed earthenware, pewter mount




Ceramics, Pottery