1824, in the possession of the sitter, Sir Charles William Doyle, (b. 1770- d. 1842); until 1936, by descent within the family to John Dudley North, 13th Lord North (b. 1917- d. 1941), Wroxton Abbey, Banbury, Oxfordshire, England; 1936, John Levy Galleries, New York [see note 1]; by 1939, sold by John Levy Galleries to William de Krafft, New York, NY; 1939, sold by William de Krafft to the MFA for $1000. (Accession Date: December 14, 1939) NOTES:  See advertisement found in Art News, XXXV, No. 21, February 1937, Pg. 23.
Museum purchase with funds donated by William de Krafft