Possibly acquired from the artist by Prince Joseph Wenceslaus of Liechtenstein (b. 1696 - d. 1772), Vienna; by 1873 until probably 1948, Princes of Liechtenstein collection, Vienna and Vaduz, Liechtenstein [see note 1]. J. Farago. 1956, Thos. Agnew and Sons, Ltd., London; 1956, sold by Agnew to William A. Coolidge (b. 1901 - d. 1992), Topsfield and Cambridge, MA; 1993, bequest of William A. Coolidge to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 27, 1993) NOTES:  For further discussion of the early provenance of this painting, see Peter C. Sutton, "The William Appleton Coolidge Collection" (Boston, 1993), cat. no. 11, pp. 63-65. While it is thought to have been acquired by Prince Joseph Wenceslaus in the 18th century, the painting cannot be securely identified in the princely collections until 1873. Its companion, depicting the Grand Canal, Venice, from Santa Maria della Carità (sale, Sotheby's, London, May 30, 1991, lot 61) remained in the Princes of Liechtenstein collection until 1948.
Bequest of William A. Coolidge