User Menu

MFA for Educators

Engage your students with the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to illustrate themes and concepts in any discipline.

Saint Lawrence, Saint Gregory, and a Bishop Saint

Provenance

About 1478/80, church of San Venanzio, Camerino, Italy (original commission) [see note 1]; 1808, removed from the church [see note 2]. 1828 until 1866 (?), Don Anastasio Tacchi Venturi, Camerino [see note 3]. Marchese Ranghiasci-Brancaleoni, Gubbio, Italy; April 12, 1882, posthumous Ranghiasci-Brancaleoni sale, Gubbio, lot 380, perhaps to Mary Rich (Mrs. Thomas O.) Richardson (d. 1924), Boston and Newport [see note 4]; 1920, gift of Mrs. Thomas O. Richardson to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 13, 1920) NOTES: [1] These small panels (with MFA accession nos. 20.1858a-c) adorned the pilasters of an altarpiece that stood in the church of San Venanzio. Though its original location is not certain, it had been installed by 1480; it was recorded there in the 19th century, with the artist's signature and date. See Laurence B. Kanter, Italian Paintings in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, vol. 1, 13th-15th century (Boston, 1994), 215-219, cat. no. 67a-b. [2] The frame is said to have been dismantled in 1808; see Umberto Gnoli, Opere inedite e opere smarrite di Niccolò da Foligno (Rome, 1912): 4. [3] They were certainly in his possession by 1858; see Gnoli (as above, n. 2), pp. 3-5 and Filippo Todini, Niccolò Alunno e la sua Bottega (Perugia, 2004), cat. no. IV.44. [4] Mrs. Richardson had lived in Italy and, according to notes in the curatorial file, she purchased pictures at the Ranghiasci-Brancaleoni sale in 1882.

Credit Line

Gift of Mrs. Thomas O. Richardson

about 1478–80

Accession Number

20.1859a-c

Medium or Technique

Tempera on panel

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Paintings