This figure is part of a set with 18.317 and 18.318 (Saint John the Evangelist and Saint Bartholomew).
From about 1500-05 until the 19th century, tomb of Juan de Padilla, Monastery of Fresdelval, Burgos, Spain (original commission; tomb dismantled in the 19th century) [see note 1]. De Bligny collection, France. By 1916, Bacri Frères, Paris; 1917, sold by Bacri, through Walter Gay, to the MFA for $1042.23 (Accession Date: June 6, 1918) NOTES:  For further discussion, see Dorothy Gillerman, ed., "Gothic Sculpture in America: 1. The New England Museums" (New York, 1989), cat. no. 80, pp. 112-113.
Harriet Otis Cruft Fund