On ledge beneath saint: S. CIRILO
About 1632, an altarpiece in the Church of the College of San Alberto, Seville (original commission) [see note 1]; remained at San Alberto until at least 1800 [see note 2]; by 1810, removed from San Alberto and placed in the Alcázar, Seville [see note 3]; taken from the Alcázar by Maréchal Nicolas Jean de Dieu Soult (b. 1769 - d. 1851), Duc de Dalmatie, Paris; by 1836, sold by Soult to George Granville Sutherland-Leveson-Gower (b. 1786 - d. 1861), 2nd Duke of Sutherland, Dunrobin Castle, near Golspie, Scotland; until 1913, by descent within the family; July 11, 1913, Duke of Sutherland sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, lot 145, to M. Knoedler and Co., London (stock no. 13292) and Arthur J. Sully and Co., London [see note 4]; 1914, still with Knoedler. By 1922, Zoe Oliver Sherman, Boston; 1922, gift of Zoe Oliver Sherman to the MFA. (Accession Date: August 3, 1922) NOTES:  The altarpiece was at the first altar from the church entrance, on the right side. Another panel from this altarpiece is in the collection of the MFA (accession no. 23.554). For further information on the commission, see the exhibition catalogue "Zurbarán" (Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and Grand Palais, Paris, 1987-1988), pp. 133-135.  See the exh. cat. "Zurbarán" (as above, n. 1), p. 136, cat. no. 16. It is said to have been recorded as in situ by Juan Agustín Ceán Bermúdez in his "Diccionario histórico de los más ilustres profesores de las bellas artes en España" (Madrid, 1800), vol. 6, pp. 48-49.  Recorded in the 1810 inventory of the Alcázar palace, room 8, no. 270. Nine hundred and ninety-nine paintings were removed from Sevillan churches by the French during the Peninsular Wars (1807 - 1814) and were placed in the Alcázar.  This was a joint account; Knoedler purchased the painting and Sully and Co. sold it.
Zoe Oliver Sherman Collection