Around 1830, possibly Sir Richard John Griffith (b. 1784 - d. 1878), Hendersyde Park, Kelso, Borders, Scotland [see note 1]; by descent within the family to Sir Richard John Waldie Griffith (b. 1850), 3d Bart., and Lady Waldie Griffith, Hendersyde Park; 1927, sold by Lady Waldie Griffith to Agnew and Sons, London (stock no. 6753); 1927, sold by Agnew to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 29, 1927) NOTES:  Letters from Colin Agnew of Agnew and Sons, London, to Edward J. Holmes of the MFA (December 6, 1927 and December 10, 1927, in MFA curatorial file) reveal that the painting had "been [at Hendersyde Park] for at least a century, having been brought there by an ancestor of the recent owner" and "brought to the British Isles a hundred years ago."
Gift of Mrs. W. Scott Fitz and Robert Treat Paine, 2nd