Counts Connestabile della Staffa, Città di Castello, Umbria; sold by Connestabile della Staffa to the Viganò family, Florence [see note 1]; 1940, sold by Mrs. Beatrice Viganò, through Mortimer Brandt Gallery, New York, to the MFA for $60,000. (Accession Date: May 9, 1940) NOTES:  According to a letter from Mortimer Brandt to W. G. Constable of the MFA (May 3, 1940). In correspondence from Mrs. Viganò to George Edgell, Director of the MFA (July 16, 1940), she states that when it was acquired, the panel had been painted over to represent a saint; the profile of a woman was revealed during a cleaning in 1935. Her letter mentions the Magherini Graziani family in Città di Castello along with Connestabile della Staffa, though it is unclear whether the former were previous owners of the work as well.
Lucy Houghton Eaton Fund