Lower right: Robert Lefevre f 1812
By 1837 until at least 1856, Leonard Jarvis, Boston [see note 1]; probably acquired from the Jarvis collection by Henry Jacob Bigelow (b. 1818 - d. 1890), Boston [see note 2]; probably by descent to his son, William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850 - d. 1926), Boston; 1926, bequest of William Sturgis Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 20, 1926) NOTES:  Leonard Jarvis lent this painting to the Boston Athenaeum in 1837, 1843, and 1856.  At least one other painting belonging to William Sturgis Bigelow (attributed to Gerard van Honthorst and no longer in the collection of the MFA) came from the Jarvis collection and was inherited by Bigelow from his father.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection