Designed by Alessandrom Mendini, (born 1931), in 1978. Carved and painted wood, painted upholstery. Marks: in black script on reverse of front seat rail 'A. Mendini 1991'. Carved wood frame with ornate tri-partite scrolling crest.
By 1992, sold by Gabriele Ammann (sole agent for Studio Alchimia in Germany) to Rolf Sachs; 1995, sold by Rolf Sachs through Theo Theodorou, Dulwich, London, to the MFA. (Accession date: January 25, 1995)
Gift of Mrs. S. M. B. Roby and Samuel Putnam Avery Fund, by exchange
Italian (Milan), designed in 1978; manufactured 1991