Plaque of the Crucifixion with Mary and John. Raised molded borders. Inscribed INRI; 1600; G (?) H (?); and signed at base of cross M R. Drapery of Mary and John XV century in style; Christ has diamond halo. Background green, flesh white, drapery blue and the cross brown.
Inscribed INRI; 1600; G (?) H (?).
Signed at base of cross "M R".
By 1906, Count Hans Johann Nepomuk von Wilczek (b. 1837 - d. 1922), Kreuzenstein, Austria [see note 1]. 1959, Blumka Gallery, New York; October 30, 1959, sold by Blumka Gallery to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1959, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: November 12, 1959) NOTES:  See Alfred Walcher Ritter von Molthein, "Bunte Hafnerkeramik der Renaissance in den Österreichischen Ländern" (Vienna, 1906), p. 82, fig. 135.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson