Glazed Hafner ware. Stippled lavendar glaze on globular body flattened on four sides. Delft-like shaped scenic panels in blue at sides, clock face with single hand on 12. Maple leaves above on narrow neck with pinched spout. Scroll handle. Small base on which glaze did not cover evenly. Ex-coll:...
Glazed Hafner ware. Stippled lavendar glaze on globular body flattened on four sides. Delft-like shaped scenic panels in blue at sides, clock face with single hand on 12. Maple leaves above on narrow neck with pinched spout. Scroll handle. Small base on which glaze did not cover evenly. Ex-coll: Oscar Bondy, No.251.
By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; June 12, 1947, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 2]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; October 19, 1961, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1962, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 10, 1962) NOTES:  Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The pitcher is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 26, no. 413.  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the pitcher was given back in 1947. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson