Max Kann, Paris (?) [see note 1]. 1881, Étienne-Edmond Martin, Baron de Beurnonville (b. 1825 - d. 1906), Paris; May 9-16, 1881, Beurnonville sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, lot 405, sold for 2,600 fr. Max Wassermann, Paris [see note 2]. 1890, Ernest May (b. 1845 - d. 1925), Paris; June 4, 1890, May sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, lot 118, sold for 2050 fr. 1897, Galerie Sedelmeyer, Paris; November 16, 1897, Sedelmeyer sale, Lepke, Berlin, lot 37, bought in. 1910, Dr. Paul Müller, Paris; May 25, 1910, Müller sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, lot 40, sold for 7500 fr. 1918, Goudstikker, Amsterdam [see note 3]. 1919, with Kleinberger, Paris. By 1923 until at least 1927, Goudstikker, Amsterdam [see note 4]. Possibly as early as the 1930s, Leopold R. Gellert (b. 1896 - d. 1969), Prague and New York [see note 5]; 1969, by inheritance from Gellert to his daughter, Elinor G. Barber, New York; January 15, 1985, anonymous (Barber) sale, Christie's, New York, lot 19, unsold; January 15, 1986, anonymous (Barber) sale, Christie's, New York, lot 153, unsold; 1986, gift of Elinor G. Barber to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 25, 1986) NOTES:  The 1897 Sedelmeyer sale catalogue states that this had been in the collection of Max Kann; the catalogue of the 1910 Paul Müller sale erroneously states that it was included in the Max Kann sale ("Catalogue des tableaux anciens de l'école hollandais," Hotel Drouot, Paris, March 3, 1879). It was not, in fact, included in that auction.  The 1910 Müller catalogue indicates this was in the Wasserman sale ("vente Wasserman"); however, this sale has not been identified.  See "Catalogus van de Collectie Goudstikker" exh. cat. Den Haag, October, 1918, cat. no. 39, ill., and exh. cat. Amsterdam, November-December, 1918, cat. no. 46, ill. The painting is not included in the Goudstikker gallery catalogues published between 1919 and 1922.  See "Catalogue of the Exhibition of Dutch and Flemish Pictures XV to XX Century from the Goudstikker Collection of Amsterdam," exh. cat. Anderson Gallery, New York, March 10 - April 7, 1923, cat. no. 82 and "Catalogue des Nouvelles Acquisitions" de la Collection Goudstikker, exh. cat. Amsterdam, October - November, 1927, cat. no. 99.  According to a member of the Gellert family, Leopold Gellert may have purchased the painting as early as the 1930s. The family left Prague in 1938 and safeguarded many of their belongings in England during World War II. This may have been among the articles they kept in England and retrieved after the war.
Gift of Elinor G. Barber