Hafner ware master mould for a stove tile with figure of a Prophet on an angle corbel. Signed on the back "Grorg" and an illegible word.
By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; 1947, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 2]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; February 11, 1961, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1961, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 8, 1961) NOTES:  Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The tile mold is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 61, no. 1047.  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the mold was given back in 1947. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson