Lower right: E. Pieters
About 1902/1904, Frans Buffa & Zonen, Amsterdam [see note 1]; about 1902/1904, sold by Buffa to C. W. Kraushaar Galleries, New York; sold by Kraushaar to Robert J. Edwards (d. 1924), Boston; 1925, bequest of Robert J. Edwards to the MFA. [see note 2] (Accession Date: April 2, 1925) NOTES:  The provenance was provided by Antoinette Kraushaar in a letter to Charles Cunningham of the MFA (January 3, 1940). She noted that Buffa was an agent for Pieters.  Siblings Robert (d. 1924), Hannah (d. 1929), and Grace (d. 1938) Edwards were each collectors of art, who seemed to have had joint ownership of the objects in their possession. When Robert died, he bequeathed his collection to the MFA in memory of their mother, Juliana Cheney Edwards. In 1925, after his death, part of his collection was acquired by the Museum, and the remainder went to his sisters, with the understanding that the objects would ultimately be left to the MFA in the collection begun in memory of their mother. The collections of Hannah and Grace were left to the MFA in 1939, following Grace's death. It is not always possible to determine exactly which paintings each sibling had owned.
Juliana Cheney Edwards Collection