About 1775, John Fitzpatrick (b. 1745 – d. 1818), 2nd Earl of Upper Ossory, Farmingwoods, Rockingham Forest, England (original commission) [see note 1]; by descent within the family to his daughter, Emma Mary Wilson (b. 1807 – d. 1882) and her husband, Robert Vernon Smith (b. 1800 – d. 1873), 1st Baron Lyvedon [see note 2]; by descent to their son, Gowran Charles Vernon; April 5, 1897, sold by Vernon, through Agnew, London, to James Ross, Montreal; July 8, 1927, Ross sale, Christie’s, London, lot 17, to Agnew, London, for Alvan Tufts Fuller (b. 1879 – d. 1958), Boston; 1959, to the Alvan T. Fuller Foundation; 1961, gift of the Fuller Foundation to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 20, 1961) NOTES:  The provenance given here is based on research published in David Mannings, Sir Joshua Reynolds: A Complete Catalogue of His Paintings (Yale University Press, 2000), p. 192, cat. no. 630. On June 10, 1775, Reynolds recorded a payment made to him by “Lord Ossory, for Lady Ann Fitzpatrick.” See Malcolm Cormack, “The Ledgers of Sir Joshua Reynolds,” Walpole Society 42 (1970): 160. Lord Ossory lent the painting -- a portrait of his daughter, Anne -- to the British Institution in 1813, no. 121.  Lady Lyvden lent the painting to the British Institution in 1844. It had probably passed to her through her half-sister, the sitter Anne Fitzpatrick, who died in 1841.
Given in memory of Governor Alvan T. Fuller by the Fuller Foundation