Three coats of arms flecked with blue (one broken). Flat handle holds mount for domed pewter lid with finial and ball thumbpiece.
Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; 1958, acquired from Blumka, by exchange, by the MFA. (Accession Date: February 20, 1958) NOTES:  According to notes in the MFA curatorial file. Attempts to identify the jug in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful. Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, had owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, his collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of John Templeman Coolidge, by exchange