1784-85, probably commissioned by Cudbert Thornhill (b. 1723 - d. 1809), Hull, England and Calcutta, India [see note 1]; 1841, by descent through the family to General Charles Powlett Lane (b. 1826 - d. 1910), Badgemore, Henley on Thames [see note 2]; 1910, by inheritance to his widow, Mrs. C. P. Lane (Bertha D'Albiac du Boulay) (b. 1849 - d. 1939), Donhead Hall, Shaftesbury; 1919, sold by Mrs. C. P. Lane to Agnew's, London; June 1925, sold by Agnew's to Governor Alvan Tufts Fuller (b. 1878 - d. 1958), Boston; 1958, with the Alvan T. Fuller Foundation, Boston; 1961, gift of the Alvan T. Fuller Foundation to the MFA. (Accession date: September 20, 1961) NOTES:  Father of the sitter, John Bensley Thornhill (b. 1773 - d. 1841), Cosspore, India and Blackheath, England. John Bensley Thornhill was director of the East India Company from 1815 - 1841. He became the adopted heir of Francine Bensley and later used Bensley name. See also the complete Thornhill family tree, provided by Valerie Thornhill in MFA curatorial file.  Charles Powlett Lane was a Major General in the British Indian Army. He was the son of John Bensley Thornhill's daughter, Emily Maria Thornhill (d. 1877), who married Charles Lane (b. 1793 - d. 1878), Badgemore, Oxfordshire, England.
Given in memory of Governor Alvan T. Fuller by the Fuller Foundation