J-L Le Moyne and J.R. Moreau, 1712
Cohen Collection. Maison Laurent (dealer), Paris. By 1923 until about 1956, Stettiner et Cie., Paris [see note 1]; about 1956, sold by Stettiner to a private collection, France; March 4, 1989, anonymous (French private collection) sale, Sotheby's, Monaco, lot 267. By 1997, Agnew's, London; 1998, sold by Agnew's to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 21, 1998) NOTES:  Early provenance information is given in the exhibition catalogue "Les artistes du Salon de 1737" (Grand Palais, Paris, May-June, 1930), pp. 36-37, cat. no. 134. It was first published as being with Stettiner by Louis Réau, "Jean-Louis Lemoyne (1665-1755)," Revue de l'art 43 (1923), pp. 195, 266-268. Stettiner lent it to the exhibition "Five Centuries of History Mirrored in Five Centuries of French Art," New York World's Fair, 1939, cat. no. 169. According to Agnew's at the time of the acquisition, the bust was still with Stettiner around 1956, when it was sold to the French private collection that sold it in 1989.
Frank B. Bemis Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, and Museum purchase with funds bequeathed Genevieve Gray Young in memory of Patience Young and Patience Gray Young