About 1638, Isabella, Lady De La Warr (sitter; b. 1607 - d. 1677?), Buckhurst Park, Sussex, England; by descent within the De La Warr family, Buckhurst Park [see note 1]; sold by the De La Warr family to an unknown private collection [see note 2]; February 10-11, 1919, anonymous sale ("by order of an Executor"), American Art Association, New York, lot 81, sold for $1300 to M. Knoedler and Co., New York. By 1928, Otto C. H. Gutekunst, London; 1930, sold by Gutekunst to the MFA for $121,440. (Accession Date: May 1, 1930) NOTES:  The painting was lent by the Earl De La Warr to the British Institution in 1844 (no. 88) and 1857 (no. 5) and the Grosvenor Gallery in 1887 (no. 131). It was lent by Countess De La Warr to the National Portrait Exhibition, London, 1868 (no. 705).  The 1919 auction catalogue indicates that the painting had been "bought from the De La Warr family."
Harriet J. Bradbury Fund