One of a pair of Fruit Dishes from the service of Louis René-Edouard, Prince de Rohan (b. 1734 - d. 1803). The circular dish has a notched rim and is decorated with a turquoise (bleu céleste) ground. The circular reserve in the center of the dish is painted with two birds in a landscape and...
One of a pair of Fruit Dishes from the service of Louis René-Edouard, Prince de Rohan (b. 1734 - d. 1803). The circular dish has a notched rim and is decorated with a turquoise (bleu céleste) ground. The circular reserve in the center of the dish is painted with two birds in a landscape and is framed by a wreath of gilt oak leaves and acorns which rises from a tree stump. A gilt band decorates the footring and the rim of the dish.
interlaced Ls enclosing date letter S, painter's mark of a scrolling N for Francois-Joseph Aloncle (active at Sèvres 1758-81) below, in blue enamel, inciced Lv.
1772, Louis-René-Edouard, Prince de Rohan (b. 1734 - d. 1803), Vienna (original commission) [see note 1]. 1870, Anatole Nicolaievitch Demidoff, Prince of San Donato (b. 1813 - d. 1870), Florence; March 23, 1870, Demidoff sale, Paris, lot 137/138, to William Ward, 1st Earl of Dudley (b. 1817 - d. 1885), Park Lane, London [see note 2]. Leopold de Rothschild (b. 1845- d. 1917), Ascott House, England [see note 3]; probably by descent to his son, Anthony de Rothschild (b. 1887 - d. 1961), Ascott House, England [see note 4]. By 1943, French and Company, New York; September 15, 1945, sold by French and Company to Forsyth Wickes (b. 1876 - d. 1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965) NOTES:  These dishes were part of a 368-piece dessert service ordered by Louis-René-Edouard in 1771, the year of his appointment as Ambassador Extraordinary to the Viennese Court. The service was delivered by Sèvres on September 7, 1772. See "Les Grands Services de Sèvres" exh. cat., Musée National de Céramique, Sèvres, May 25 - July 29, 1951, p. 32, no. 7. Also see MFA object nos. 46.6 - 46.8, 65.1854 - 65.1855, and 65.1894, which came from the same service.  Edwin J. Hipkiss, "Three Pieces of Sèvres Porcelain," Bulletin of the Museum of Fine Arts, 44, no. 258 (December, 1946), p. 88, discusses the provenance of the part of the service, comprising 172 pieces, that had been in the Demidoff collection.  Hipkiss (above, n. 2) notes that the pieces had been in the Rothschild collection; notes in the MFA curatorial file further indicate the pieces had belonged to Leopold de Rothschild. Other pieces from the same service have also been identified as coming from the Leopold de Rothschild collection; for example, see Anne Odom and Liana Paredes Arend, "A Taste For Splendor: Russian Imperial and European Treasures from the Hillwood Museum" (Alexandria, VA, 1998), p. 161, cat. 68, for a plate that was sold by French and Company in 1946.  When French and Company first offered pieces from this service to the MFA in 1943, the service was said to have been with its last owner "for over seventy years." Anthony de Rothschild inherited Ascott House and its contents in 1937. Other pieces from the same service passed by descent from Leopold to Anthony de Rothschild; see, for example, Carl Christian Dauterman, "The Wrightsman Collection. Porcelain" (New York, 1970), p. 269.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection