Lower left, on side of boat: VG 1644
Count André Mniszech (b. 1823 - d. 1905), Paris [see note 1]. About 1920, Wildenstein, Paris. 1925, D. Hermsen, The Hague. By 1929 until at least 1931, P. de Boer, Amsterdam [see note 2]. Asscher and Welker, London; between about 1931 and 1937, sold by Asscher and Welker to Georg Schicht (b. 1884 - d. 1961), London [see note 3]. 1937, brought to the United States. 1946, acquired by John Nicholson Gallery, New York (stock no. 1923); 1947, sold by Nicholson to the MFA for $4500. (Accession Date: March 13, 1947) NOTES:  Provenance information (to 1925) is taken from Hans-Ulrich Beck, Jan van Goyen, 1596-1656 (Amsterdam, 1973), p. 341, cat. no. 757. Mniszech was a Polish portraitist who worked in Paris.  The painting was featured in a P. de Boer advertisement published in 1929 (see, for example, Pantheon, November 1929) and was exhibited at the gallery in 1930 and 1931.  According to correspondence from John P. Nicholson to W. G. Constable of the MFA (March 17, 1947).
Francis Welch Fund