Baroness Mathilde von Rothschild (b. 1832 - d. 1924), Frankfurt; by 1925, her granddaughter, Lili Jeannette von Goldschmidt-Rothschild (b. 1883 - d. 1929), Frankfurt [see note 1]; by 1932, her daughter, Baroness Minka Schey von Koromla, Frankfurt [see note 2]. 1939, Galerie André Weil, Paris [see note 3]; 1940, transferred from Weil to Rosenberg and Stiebel, Inc., New York; 1940, sold by Rosenberg and Stiebel to the MFA for $10,000. (Accession Date: June 13, 1940) NOTES:  Lili Jeannette von Goldschmidt-Rothschild married Baron Philipp Schey von Koromla in 1921. She lent the painting to the "Ausstellung von Meisterwerken alter Malerei aus Privatbesitz," Städelsches Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt, 1925, no. 117, giving her name as Lili Freifrau Schey von Koromla.  She lent the painting to the exhibition "French Art," Royal Academy, London, 1932, no. 185.  according to letter of July 20, 1939 from André Weil to W.G. Constable of the MFA in curatorial file.
Martin Brimmer Fund, Ernest Wadsworth Longfellow Fund, and Mrs. Edward Wheelwright Fund