Hafner ware. Elliptical, on brown molded foot-band, curved brown sides. Flutes in brown, turquoise, white and blue glaze ray from center to scalloped edge. One end has stop in flute for loop for hanging.
Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; January 23, 1962, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1963, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 9, 1963) NOTES:  The provenance was provided by R. Thornton Wilson in a letter to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (January 24, 1962). Attempts to identify the dish in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful. Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, had owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, his collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson