One from a set of twenty-four shaped circular dinner plates, with molded laurel rims. Engraved with a double headed eagle with a crown, a shield, an orb, and a scepter(?), the Russian Imperial arms.
Maker's Mark: a crowned fleur-de-lis, two grains, CPD, a crozier (Dennis, 118). Warden's Mark: 1771-1772: a crowned H (Dennis, 38). Charge Mark: for large work, 1768-1775: a crowned A (Dennis, 37). Discharge Mark: for work intended for export, 1733(?)-1775: a little cow (Dennis, 14). Other: a small rectangle; St. Petersburg Mark "Beschauzelchen etwa" 1784 (Rosenberg 8143); HM, a grain between, in a rectangle; Russian standard mark: a 91 in a rectangle (Tardy, p. 3265); Countermark used after 1838: parts of insects (Rosenberg, 5929), an ovalprobably with LHF and possibly a question mark in it.
1770, part of Orloff Service ordered by Empress Catherine the Great; 1928, purhased by Jacques Helft directly from Soviet Government (850 pieces). 1932, Comte Horodiski. 1952, Bertha Wallace, Paris. Elizabeth Parke Firestone (b. 1897 - d. 1990) and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. (b. 1898 - d. 1973), Akron, OH and Newport, RI; 1993; gift of the estate of Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr., to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 26, 1993)
Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. Collection