Glazed terracotta in low relief; yellow, blue, green, white, manganese purple-brown. Christ on Cross (yellow hair and loin cloth) between Mary standing on left (brown cloak), St. John on the right (blue shirt, deep yellow cloak). Green background with diaper pattern; border of repeated pattern in...
Glazed terracotta in low relief; yellow, blue, green, white, manganese purple-brown. Christ on Cross (yellow hair and loin cloth) between Mary standing on left (brown cloak), St. John on the right (blue shirt, deep yellow cloak). Green background with diaper pattern; border of repeated pattern in green, brown and white. Large piece repaired on top left, chip on left border, hook for hanging at top back fastened through front, chips in glaze on figures. From Lanna and Bondy collections.
Until 1909, Adalbert von Lanna (b. 1836 - d. 1909), Prague; November 9-16, 1909, Lanna sale, Lepke, Berlin, lot 488. By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; June 12, 1947, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy [see note 2]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; 1960, sold by Blumka to the MFA for $1,000. (Accession Date: April 14, 1960) NOTES:  Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The plaque is identifiable in an undated photograph of a room in Bondy's Vienna home (copy in MFA curatorial file) and is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 54, no. 937.  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the plaque was given back on June 12, 1947. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Wales, by exchange