The ebony carcase is fitted with ivory, silver, and gilt metal mounts, set with amber cabochons and lapis lazuli. The ambers are carved variously with classical masks, flowers and insects. Silver male and female caryatids are mounted at each corner.
'F.v.Miller Munchen' engraved in script on lower left corner of central panel.
Commissioned by William Arnold Buffum, Boston, MA; 1901, bequeathed by William Arnold Buffum to the MFA. (Accession date: January 1, 1901)
Bequest of William Arnold Buffum
German (Munich), 19th century, about 1880–85
- Designed by Fritz von Miller, German, 1840–1921