By 1938, Eugene L. Garbáty (b. 1880 - d. 1966), Schloss Alt-Döbern, Niederlausitz (Germany); 1939, stored by Garbáty in Paris during his emigration; by 1946, recovered by Garbáty, East Norwalk, CT [see note 1]; 1952, sold by Garbáty to the MFA for $1500. (Accession Date: March 13, 1952) NOTES:  Eugene Garbáty fled Germany in 1938, after the family company (of which he was part owner), Garbáty Zigarettenfabrik, was Aryanized, or sold to non-Jewish owners. He traveled through France and entered the United States in 1939, eventually settling in East Norwalk, CT. Although Garbáty was able to bring much of his art collection with him, he did leave certain objects behind in Europe, including this sculpture. In a 1943 U.S. claims form itemizing his property abroad, he attested that a bronze "Bull, made by Giovanni Bologna" had been left with an acquaintance in Paris who had since emigrated to Cuba. (National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, MD: RG 265/450/69/17-/02-, Box 136, Foreign Funds Control Form TFR-500: Census of Property in Foreign Countries, Series A-1). Although exactly when and how Garbáty recovered the sculpture is not known, it was certainly in his possession again by 1946, when he lent it to the MFA.
John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund