On rough hewn crag, flowers & sleeping setter at base. Furred cloak (broken at back). Chiseled uneven back surface with hole. Signed and dated in hollow underneath.
Incised on back of rock base: "Ag Cor/nacchini/1716".
By 1722, Francesco Maria Niccolò Gabburri (b. 1676 - d. 1742), Florence [see note 1]. 1941, private collection, Germany; May, 1941, sold from this private collection to Julius Böhler, Munich [see note 2]; 1950, sold by Böhler to Blumka Gallery, New York; 1956, sold by Blumka Gallery to the MFA for $800. (Accession Date: March 8, 1956) NOTES:  See Bruce Boucher et al., "Earth and Fire: Italian Terracotta Sculpture from Donatello to Canova" (New Haven and London, 2001), p. 234. The sculpture was listed in Gabburri's 1722 inventory.  Correspondence from Galerie Julius Böhler to the MFA (May 9, 2006; in MFA curatorial file).
H. E. Bolles Fund