1786, John William de la Pole (b. 1757 - d. 1799), 6th Bart., Shute House, near Axminster, Devonshire [see note 1]; 1799, by descent through the family to Sir Frederick Arundell de la Pole (b. 1850 - d. 1926), 11th Bart., Shute House, Devonshire; June 13, 1913, De La Pole sale, Christie's, London, lot 125, sold for £41,370 to Duveen Brothers, Inc., London ; by 1919, sold by Duveen to Herbert Stern (b. 1859 - d. 1919), 1st Baron Michelham, Hellingley, Sussex; 1919, by inheritance to Stern's wife, Aimee Geraldine Bradshaw Stern (d. 1927), Baroness Michelham, London and Paris; November 23, 1926, Michelham sale, Hampton's, London, lot 297, sold for £46,200 to Agnew's, London (stock no. 6622); 1926, sold by Agnew's to Alvan Tufts Fuller (b. 1878 - d. 1958), Boston [see note 2]; 1959, to Fuller Foundation Inc., Boston; 1961, gift of Fuller Foundation to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 10, 1961) NOTES:  Original commission from the artist by the husband of the sitter. Anne Templer (d. 1832) of Stover House, Devonshire, married John William de la Pole (d. 1799) on January 9, 1791.  See Agnew's, 1817-1967 (London, 1967), n.p.
Given in memory of Governor Alvan T. Fuller by the Fuller Foundation