With original tooled leather case and lid.
A dedication from the Benedictine monks at the monastery of St. Mang to their abbot in inscribed on the silver-gilt knop: En/ Pignus Amoris/ GerarDo a fILIIs/ terqVe qVaterqVe faVsta/ nata LItIa festa anaVo/ Voto eXoptanIbVo/ obLatVM"
1706, Abbot Gerhard (d. 1714), Abbey of St. Mang, Füssen, Bavaria (original commission); until 1803, remained at the Abbey of St. Mang; 1803, transferred to the princes of Oettingen-Wallerstein, Wallerstein Castle, Bavaria [see note 1]; by descent within the family; sold by the princes of Oettingen-Wallerstein to Rudigier Gallery, London and Munich; 2004, sold by Rudigier Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 22, 2004) NOTES:  In 1802, the abbey was secularized and made subject to the state of Bavaria. The state granted the abbey to the princely house of Oettingen-Wallerstein, and the church treasures and works of art were sent to Wallerstein Castle. In 1840 they were moved to the Brigidine convent of Maihingen and at the end of World War II, they were moved to the princely residence of Harburg Castle.
Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously and the William Francis Warden Fund, Frank B. Bemis Fund, Mary S. and Edward Jackson Holmes Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, and by exchange from the Bequest of William A. Coolidge